Saturday, June 20, 2009

conscience

I was sitting outside, in the middle of my troubles, observing my favorite tree. It is an elm with a 10" trunk and rises about 35 feet in the air. It is amidst other elms, but is rather skinny in stature compared with the others. The wind was blowing rather hard and it was swaying heavily. Back and forth it swayed but never breaking. I realized that my squeamish little elm was not concerned with breaking because, in reality, it has no conscience. A conscience that is worried about breaking in the wind, is a conscience that is being improperly used. The difference in me and the elm is God's gift of compassion, the ability to perceive that love and the heights that I can reach from that oneness. Jesus talked about the worrying I will encounter. He stated very simply to not do it, yet I still do (and quit often). So it is that my little elm needs water, sunlight and wind to survive. Why is it that I think I need more and can I not see how "more" is detrimental to God consciousness?

No comments:

Post a Comment