Friday, May 15, 2009

FORE!

I was watching Happy Gilmour the other day and couldn't help laughing at the fact that he was a hockey player, not a golfer. He replaced his hockey stick with his grandfather's clubs. It reminded me of a time I bought new clubs thinking it would make me a better player. It did until the newness of the clubs wore off and I was left with the same game. There have been many times in my life where I thought buying something new would replace the way I felt about myself. It did until the newness wore off and, once again, my old game return. Several years later, and many more new toys purchased, I found myself in a drug rehabilitation center. I have always been able to master things, buy new toys, start new hobbies, get new friends, buy another house or move to a different town, but this philosophical rock jumping came to an "about face" with drug addiction. For the first time (not my last) in my life I was beaten. Notice I said "not my last." This brings me to the point. Jesus said that the Evil One (new toys) would return and find the room empty and swept clean. He would go out into the desert (new toy mall) and return with 7 more powerful than he. Whenever you feel the need for a new toy stop for a moment and check that out. Is it going to really change the way you feel? Of course it will, until the newness wears off, and you return to your old game. Don't be afraid when this comes, expect it. Call the bluff on these masquerades and this silly waste of life. Just sit and watch. R

No comments:

Post a Comment