Thursday, December 10, 2009

Parenting and the Current of God

I was doing laundry this morning (re-read "House Husband") and I couldn't locate the clothes basket. I wandered down to my daughter's room to look for it (that is where I go if I need to locate the cordless phone, scissors or the channel changer). I knocked on the door and asked, "Sydney?". "Yes", she replied. "Are you dressed?", I asked. She answered, "Yes, come in". I opened the door to find her freshly bathed, in her robe, sitting on the bed with an expression on her face similar to a squirrel with a box of nuts. "What are you doing?" I asked. "Oh, just praying, you know, chatting", she calmly replied. I did find the laundry basket in her closet, picked it up and went on about the duty of doing the laundry. I begin folding the whites, all the while allowing her words to loom with me. After a little while I begin to feel the current of the spirit radiate through me. What was instigated by a small and brief conversation, soon levitated to something very meaningful to me. It then dawned on me that all of the pain and suffering that I endured in the beginning of my recovery from drug addiction, all the work I had to put in to learn how to live again, all the reading, praying, investigation and examination I have experienced, came to a resounding and culminating penultimacy in a very brief moment. That these tumultuous efforts really didn't go unnoticed and, in time, inexplicably permeate to those around us. The transfer is inevitable. The current of God is a living, intelligible love. How grateful I am for my life and for the opportunity to have, even if only briefly, experienced something beyond myself. How beautiful is the gift of parenting, belonging, purposefulness and the current of God. Blessings, r

No comments:

Post a Comment